Well Rounded Birth Prep

Well Rounded Birth Prep
WellRoundedBirthPrep.com

Search This Blog

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Linger

Yesterday had one of those rare moments where I deliberately slow down and try to savor babyhood. Not that I don't enjoy my kids; I do. It's just that as a homeschool mom of 4 kids age 7 and under, I don't get a whole lot of time to just lie with my babies. Correction: I get no such time. At her afternoon nap time, I tend to either lie down with Baby K (22 months old) for as briefly as I can get by with, nurse her on both sides, then wave night-night so I can go get more school done, or worse--I send my 6-year-old or my 7-year-old to go put her in bed and tuck her in (then I can get by without nursing her; I don't mind nursing her but it's just time consuming).

But yesterday, for some reason, I laid Baby K down in my comfy, king size bed, as opposed to the twin bed with rails where I usually lay her for nap. I nursed her and she had her sweet little arms wrapped around my neck, playing with my hair. Her eyes started drooping. Her warm little body cuddled up to mine in a reverse spoon, her legs tucked against my thighs, her tummy to my tummy. Her little legs are still so squooshy like fresh marshmallows. She felt so wonderful that I decided to stay. I remembered all those admonishments you hear to let the housework go and enjoy the babies. In theory, Baby K is "supposed" to be our last baby (as have been our last *3* babies). But maybe this time, this baby really will be our last baby. I had better treasure this time.

I'm proud of myself for staying with her, and telling the big girls to read a book while Mommy lies down with K. I know I did the right thing. It took a lot of effort to quiet my Type A, racing mind and quell the guilt for what I "should" have been doing. Baby K and I enjoyed an hour-long nap together. I don't know how many more of these I will be blessed to experience.


Song for a Fifth Child
By Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth
empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
hang out the washing and butter the bread,
sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
and out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
but I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
for children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust, go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.



P.S. Yes, she's sleeping with her shoes on. She won't let us take them off her until she's in a very deep sleep. If we try to remove her shoes at nap time or bedtime, she cries brokenheartedly. It's not a big deal to us whether she has shoes on at bedtime, so we let her go to sleep with them on. Priorities.

5 comments:

  1. So so very true. And I only have one...but those Type A thoughts never stop, even with one child. I decide to wean her and then while nursing her to sleep wonder why I think such things. She's my baby and I want to treasure it while I have it. What if she's my only one?

    These are the moments you dwell on when you grow old and gray.

    Lovely blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful...thanks for sharing. So glad you got to have some precious time with little K. And a much needed nap I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! I'm still here! Got curious by the reference to being a homeschooling mom of 4, since I just put that hat on a few weeks ago myself.

    This touched me. I've got a few days with my 2 littlest ones, and before my hubby hopped on a plane with the older two, he admonished me to take it easy and just spend time with our 2-yr-old (not to imply that I'll be abandoning my 3-mo-old!).

    Love the poem. My mom had a needlework of the last lines hanging in our hallway growing up (and it was dusty--how perfect!) I don't think I knew the name of it. But now that I have more than one, the name certainly makes sense.

    Okay, now I'm intrigued by your other post that talks about being a perfectionist. Sigh. I think I feel a connection with you. I'm not Type A, though. Just laden with guilt.

    Thanks for the reminder to slow down and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, congrats on beginning your journey into homeschooling! It's demanding but the rewards are so rich.

    I love that your mom had a needlework copy of this poem--and that it was dusty. You should take a photo of it exactly that way. <3 It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, I treasured each moment I had with Thing 3 (my 3rd and probably last) but I had a 5 year gap between T2 and T3. It made it a little easier.

    Good for you for taking the time, because it really does fly!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit my blog. I appreciate your comments.